Wednesday 19 December 2007

The Festival of the New Spaghetti

That was the background to a "Ron Hodgson Motors" advert from the late 60's and early 70's in Sydney.

Here is the original news item that inspired it, the BBC Panorama world current affairs program from 1957.



Another Ad:
When I was a lad, I served a term
Winding back the clocks at a used car firm
I covered up the rust with a coat of clay,
And I fiddled with the steering of a Chevrolet
(He fiddled with the steering of a Chevolet)

I fiddled with the steering so very hard
That I became the owner of a used-car yard

(He fiddled with the steering so very hard
That he became the owner of a used-car yard)


But now my yard is empty all day,
People come /almost inaudible panting/ but they all go away
They go where used cars are the best
With seven days to prove and test
(With seven days to prove and test)

Ron Hodgson's deals there's no use fighting
'Cause Ron Hodgson puts his guarantees in writing

(Ron Hodgson's deals he cannot fight
For Ron Hodgson puts his deals on black and white)

4 comments:

Gibbo said...

Gee that takes me back Zoe. I grew up in Cabramatta where Ron Hodgson had his car yard. I think he ended up doing himself in if I remember correctly.

Anonymous said...

This is very similar to the jingle used by John H Ellers, Adelaide in the 1970s.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, John H Ellers in SA - my mum was in that tv advert! :-)

Unknown said...

This jingle was also used in Perth for Motorama I think (might be a different car yard). The only difference is the word Grey or clay. as in "I covered up the rust with a coat of grey".
Bob from Jandakot WA